Perenara celebrates 100th with a derby win

first_imgWinger Ben Lam scored two of the Hurricanes’ four tries on Saturday as they notched a third-straight win and handed the Highlanders their first defeat of the season.The scores were locked 12-12 entering a final half-hour which the hosts dominated, scoring through a long-range penalty to Jordie Barrett and tries to reserve winger Vince Aso and Lam.Both tries required expert, diving finishes in the corner from the wide men when tackled by the cover defence, as did Lam’s first-half try.It was the sort of finishing required as two of the competition’s most resilient defensive sides went toe-to-toe, with the Hurricanes’ ball-in-hand style prevailing against the kick-based Highlanders approach.It was a fitting way for halfback TJ Perenara to bring up 100 games for the Hurricanes, who have won seven of their last eight Kiwi derby games at home.A dampener on the win is a possible serious rib injury to All Blacks flanker Ardie Savea, who hobbled out of the game soon before halftime.The Highlanders, who opened their campaign with three-straight wins in Dunedin, were the only unbeaten team coming into round six.They crossed once in each half through Test winger Waisake Naholo, with the second showcasing his exceptional pace as he chased a kick ahead.The result means the Crusaders, Chiefs, Hurricanes and Highlanders have all won three matches, with the Kiwi sides all residing in the top six on the overall table standings.last_img read more

Fight for Anna Nicole Smith’s body turns into a circus

first_img“It was delightful having everyone,” he said at the end of the day. Everyone probably would not agree. Smith’s longtime companion, Howard K. Stern, claims he is executor of her will and wants her buried next to her son in the Bahamas. Her estranged mother, Vergie Arthur, wants her buried in Smith’s home state of Texas. Photographer Larry Birkhead hopes DNA taken from Smith will help prove he fathered the former centerfold’s 5-month-old daughter, Dannielynn, who could inherit millions. Seidlin has said the dispute could be lengthy. The hearing, which began Wednesday, took all day Thursday and was to continue today. Lawyers for all three took swipes at each other’s clients throughout Thursday’s hearing in a room jammed with about 50 people. Reporters sat on the floor and atop a credenza, punching away at handheld computers. Courthouse staffers struggled to push their way through. There were not enough chairs for all the attorneys. Lawyers for Stern and Arthur fought Birkhead’s attorneys’ plea to gather additional DNA from the body of Smith, who died a week earlier, though Seidlin eventually ordered another cheek swab taken. Stern’s attorneys called Arthur’s move to gain her estranged daughter’s remains “sick” and the mother’s attorneys charged back that Smith’s longtime companion had no rights whatsoever. The attorneys, at times, buried their faces in their hands. They interrupted Seidlin repeatedly. Some even refused to shake hands. Unfazed, Seidlin addressed the attorneys as “my good lawyer,” or as “California” or “Texas” to note their state. The more tense the mood got, the more steadfastly he sought civility. “I don’t want to attack one another,” he said. It was a milder tone than Seidlin struck as he took over the case Wednesday and declared Smith’s corpse would stay refrigerated in the medical examiner’s office until he said otherwise. “This body belongs to me right now,” he said then. “This body’s not leaving Broward County till I make the ruling.” Seidlin ordered the medical examiner’s office to swab Smith’s cheek, even though DNA samples already had been collected. He said he wanted to make sure her body wouldn’t have to be exhumed. “When we bury her, I want it to be forever,” he said. Smith, 39, died Feb. 8 after collapsing at a Florida hotel. As the proceedings dragged on, police investigating a burglary report in the Bahamas went into a mansion that Stern and Smith shared. Stern, who was at the mansion with the officers, claims a computer, home videos and other items were taken from the house after Smith’s death.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – There were angry attacks at times, resounding laughter at others and a standing-room-only audience. And as custody of Anna Nicole Smith’s body and of the former Playboy Playmate’s infant daughter devolved Thursday into an all-out legal circus, Circuit Judge Larry Seidlin became the affable ringmaster. On the second day of an often acrimonious emergency hearing over Smith’s remains, Seidlin, 56, called lawyers “terrific” and “beautiful.” He divulged the minutiae of his days, from his morning swim to the tuna sandwich he was having when assigned the case. He so frequently spoke off the cuff that he seemed like he was auditioning for a TV court show. And he really seemed to enjoy it. last_img read more

Compton runs away from Serra

first_imgCompton High’s boys basketball team jumped out to a 10-point lead after one quarter and never looked back Thursday night in the first round of the CIF Southern California Division II Regional Playoffs. Led by 24 points from junior Demar DeRozan, the Tarbabes defeated San Diego Serra 93-62 and improved their record to 26-6. That sets up a home game at 7 p.m. Saturday against Redondo, a 59-58 winner over Fresno Edison. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Compton took a 22-12 lead after the first quarter and led 42-23 at halftime. Serra never got closer than 10 points after the second quarter. Edgar Garibay added 17 points and nine rebounds and Chris Williams had 15 points. center_img Serra, which finished its season with a 23-8 record, was led by Lanere Anderson’s 19 points. If the Tarbabes win Saturday, it could set up a rematch with Mater Dei in the Southern California final at Pauley Pavilion on March 17. The Monarchs, seeded No. 1 in Southern California in Division II, routed Tulare Western 90-41 on Thursday and host Scripps Ranch on Saturday. Mater Dei defeated Compton in the CIF Southern Section semifinals, 76-66. last_img read more

Deschamps World Cup warning sparked Giroud switch

first_img0Shares0000Olivier Giroud has scored 29 goals in 69 appearances for France © AFP/FilePARIS, France, Feb 4 – Olivier Giroud revealed on Sunday his move from Arsenal to Chelsea was motivated by a World Cup warning from France coach Didier Deschamps.Having dropped down the pecking order with Arsene Wenger’s Gunners, Giroud knew he would need to be playing more regularly if he is to convince Deschamps to take him to Russia in June. “I called Didier Deschamps a week before the end of the transfer window as I needed his opinion,” the 31-year-old striker told TF1.“He encouraged me to change clubs,” added Giroud, who signed an 18-month deal with the English Premier League champions.Giroud has been a consistent part of Deschamps’s plans despite a plethora of attacking talent in France, and the target man has scored 29 goals in 69 France appearances.“You know how attached I am to the national team and I want to play at a World Cup in Russia, which will surely be my last, so I have to give myself the best possible chance,” he said, adding that he “needed a new challenge, a new club”.The man who spearheaded Montpellier’s astonishing Ligue 1 title winning campaign in 2012 said the lure of working with Chelsea manager Antonio Conte determined his destination.“Dortmund were interested but for a loan deal, Sevilla too, my agent even got a call from Roma,” Giroud revealed.“But the choice was clear and obvious once I knew that Antonio Conte wanted to work with me.”With first-choice striker Alvaro Morata sidelined by a back injury, Conte had been in the market for a player with Giroud’s physical presence.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

LORETO LK HOLDING ARENA 7 QUIZ NIGHT

first_imgLoreto Convent School Letterkenny are organising some funds raising events, if you could please advertise them on your site it would be very much appreciated.Loreto Convent School, Letterkenny, are holding a Quiz Night in Arena 7 on Thursday 28th Feb at 9pm. Everyone welcome to come along to this fun evening and support this fund raising event.Also a date for your diary- on March 12th we will be holding a fashion show by Marks and Spencer. Many thanks and kind regardsSiobhan Trotman, Parents Association LORETO LK HOLDING ARENA 7 QUIZ NIGHT was last modified: February 25th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:LORETO LK HOLDING ARENA 7 QUIZ NIGHTlast_img read more

Robbers hit Newhall Ranch Road bank

first_imgVALENCIA — Three masked robbers got away with $6,900 in a takeover robbery of a Newhall Ranch Road bank, sheriff’s officials said Saturday. The three entered the California National Bank branch at 28313 Newhall Ranch Road at approximately 3:30 p.m. Friday and ordered everyone to the floor, according to Sgt. Byron Wainie of the Santa Clarita sheriff’s station. “They went to the teller windows and took money, then left on foot in an unknown direction,” Wainie said. “We don’t have a vehicle description.” The robbers were described as African-American men in their early 20s, wearing dark clothing, ski masks and gloves. Two were armed with handguns. FBI agents from the Lancaster branch and detectives from the Santa Clarita Valley station will be handling the investigation. Anyone with information is encouraged to call detectives at (661) 255-1121. — Carol Rock, (661) 257-5252 carol.rock@dailynews.com AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

PRIEST: ‘MY DAD HAS FLU AT NAZARETH HOUSE NURSING HOME’

first_imgA priest has spoken about how his father is being treated for flu-like symptoms at the Co Donegal nursing home where six residents have died.Fr Paddy O’Kane, who is based in Derry, said his 93-year-old father is one of the 11 residents receiving treatment at Nazareth House in Fahan.The residents have died from flu at the nursing home over the past two weeks and a major investigation is under way. Father O’Kane said he had visited his father at the home and was satisfied that he was receiving “excellent care”.He told BBC Radio Foyle that he found out about the outbreak through the media, but he didn’t want to make an issue about this.Fr O’Kane said he understood that the staff’s first priority was towards the patients and he added that they had reassured him about the state of his father’s health.His father has been a resident of Nazareth House for the past five years and his son said it had met the standards required by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). “I have never heard of anyone complaining about the care, nor have we any cause for concern about how my father is being treated,” Fr O’Kane said.A spokesperson for Nazareth House said they did not comment on individual cases but added that the nursing home was “currently in the process of alerting the families of all those who are currently undergoing treatment to keep them fully informed of the ongoing situation.”Father O’Kane had revealed yesterday that he had anointed his father.  PRIEST: ‘MY DAD HAS FLU AT NAZARETH HOUSE NURSING HOME’ was last modified: April 5th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:PRIEST: ‘MY DAD HAS FLU AT NAZARETH HOUSE NURSING HOME’last_img read more

Giambi risen from the ashes

first_img Now, Giambi, a graduate of South Hills High, is hitting third in what is arguably baseball’s most intimidating lineup. After a slow start, he hit .271 with 32 homers and 87 RBIs, and had two hits and an RBI in Game 1 of the American League Division Series Tuesday night. “I think the last couple of years have been tough for Jason,’ Yankees manager Joe Torre said. “He had some injury problems during the 2003 World Series with us, and last year was a nightmare for him, and all winter, basically. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 “I think right now he’s really enjoying himself. He’s probably enjoying himself more than anybody else if you go back more than 12 months and see where he was over the last year or so. He’s worked hard, it’s not something that just happened to drop on his doorstep. It’s something he’s been working for and trying to work through, both emotionally and physically.’ Bartolo Colon is the odds-on favorite to win the American League Cy Young Award, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia said “it’s a real long shot’ that he will bring Colon back on three days’ rest to start Game 4 of the ALDS on Saturday at Yankee Stadium. “We’re really counting on good games from Paul (Byrd in Game 3) and Wash (Jarrod Washburn in Game 4),’ Scioscia said. “For Bart to come back on three days would be a stretch, not that we wouldn’t consider it.’ Colon’s final start of the regular season, Sept. 29 in Oakland, came on three-days’ rest. And though Colon got his 21st victory, Scioscia said Colon wasn’t “crisp.’ Colon has been bothered by sore back the second half of the season. Facing Randy Johnson in Game 3 on Friday presents a tall order for the Angels, but Scioscia doesn’t see it as anything above and beyond what’s normal this time of year. ANAHEIM — Only a year ago, Jason Giambi’s world seemed to be crashing down on him. Injuries and illness contributed to his worst season in the majors in 2004, then in December of last year the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Yankees’ first baseman/designated hitter testified to a federal grand jury he used steroids and human growth hormone. The Yankees reportedly tried to find a way to void the remaining $80 million Giambi’s contract, but ultimately figured they were stuck with him. center_img “All their starters are throwing well, Randy included,’ Scioscia said. “(Mike) Mussina, (Chien- Ming) Wang, (Shawn) Chacon, they’ve been very effective the last month to get to this point. Whether it happens to be Randy or another pitcher, the challenge is real.’ Johnson is 15-6 with a 2.93 ERA in 29 career starts against the Angels, but is 0-0 with a 5.40 ERA in two starts against them this season. Scioscia defended Garret Anderson after the Angels left fielder was criticized for not catching Robinson Cano’s three-run double in the first inning of Game 1. Anderson was told to play shallow by Angels coaches, and Cano hit the ball over Anderson’s head. “It’s all positioning,’ Scioscia said. “Garret ran a great route and was running well, the ball just beat us to the gap. When Garret’s healthy he’s a good outfielder, and he’s healthy now.’ The Angels’ lineup was the same Wednesday for Game 2, with one flip-flop in the batting order. Bengie Molina moved up to fifth and bumped Darin Erstad down to sixth. Erstad struck out in his first three at-bats Tuesday before getting an RBI single in the ninth. “Bengie’s really been swinging the bat well the last month, and it takes pressure off Ersty trying to hit behind Vlad (Guerrero),’ Scioscia said. “There’s a lot of pressure in that position. You know Ersty, he’s very demanding of himself. He expects himself to rise to the occasion and be the guy.’ California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was a guest in Angels owner Arte Moreno’s suite for Wednesday’s game. … The Angels are Yankees are off today to travel to New York. Game 3 at 5 p.m. Friday. Joe Haakenson can be reached at (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2239, or by e-mail at joe.haakenson@sgvn.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

All-Star closer Blake Treinen wins arbitration case against A’s

first_imgBlake Treinen’s unprecedented 2018 campaign has garnered him a substantial pay raise through arbitration.The closer won his arbitration case against the A’s, rewarded with his desired salary of $6.4 million after the club had submitted a figure of $5.6 million.“Blake appreciates the arbitration panel’s decision and looks forward to helping the Oakland Athletics return to the postseason in 2019,” Treinen’s agent Adam Karon told Bay Area News Group.Treinen’s projected arbitration number was …last_img read more

Webtrends 9: Google Analytics Eat Your Heart Out

first_img3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now steven walling Webtrends has launched the ninth version of its Web analytics platform for the enterprise, and it’s impressive indeed. In addition to a standards-based interface that’s data-driven and accessible, three new features make Webtrends 9 stand out from the crowd. First, there’s a selective RSS overlay to let you match site activity with key feeds. Second, you can now generate URIs and REST urls to export your data and embed it in applications and Excel spreadsheets. Last, but definitely not least, is the story view, which automatically turns your entire analytics report into a short narrative for use in emails, reports, and presentations. A Minimalist InterfaceBoth Yahoo! and Google analytics are known for their colorful interfaces and reliance on Flash and JavaScript. Webtrends 9 has taken the opposite approach, with a mostly gray-scale dashboard that uses color very sparingly to highlight small points. More importantly, Webtrends 9 only uses HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, not Flash. This means it’s actually usable on devices that don’t support Flash, like the iPhone. If you have JavaScript turned off, it also automatically downgrades without losing any functionality. Bells & WhistlesGoogle and Yahoo! might work just fine for personal websites and other consumer Web analytics needs. Webtrends has always differentiated itself by focusing on the enterprise market, which needs different metrics and greater security. But several of the features new to Webtrends 9 are just plain cool, whether you’re in the enterprise or not. An automatic story view might not be flashy, but it’s darned useful, both as a presentation technique for others and for those who may be less graphically inclined. The sharing to other services like Excel was ridiculously easy, and the business need for that kind of exporting is crystal clear. In testing out these new features ourselves, we found Webtrends to have a degree of depth and flexibility that would appeal to anyone, not just the business-class customers they target. Related Posts IT + Project Management: A Love Affaircenter_img Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… Tags:#enterprise#Products Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of…last_img read more