Naval and customs officers seizedabout 4.4 tons of the drug in Montevideo port. It had been hidden in four soyflour containers destined for Lome, the capital of Togo. Naval and customs officers seized about 4.4 tons of cocaine in Montevideo port, Uruguay. AFP Another 1.5 tons was later found on aranch, local reports said. The drugs have an estimated total street value ofaround $1.3bn (£1bn). The ranch’s owner and his son werearrested along with two workers. The country’s previous record haul wasin November, when authorities uncovered a container with three tons of cocainealso in Montevideo.(BBC) URUGUAY – Authorities here said theyseized a record haul of around six tons of cocaine, calling it the biggestsetback for traffickers in the country’s history. Uruguay is increasingly being used asa transit point to move drugs from Latin America to Africa and Europe.
In response, the ICC Office of theProsecutor said that no communication before them can be withdrawn. It addedthat any supposed withdrawal would have no impact on the preliminaryexamination it is conducting. “The ICC has to wake up from its stuporif not ignorance. It should realize by now that it is being used by disgruntledand discredited persons to advance their goal of besmirching the reputation ofPresident Duterte and achieve their impossible dream of bringing down theDuterte presidency,” Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said./PN “What is clear is that once jurisdictionis acquired and exercised by the ICC, our position is this should not bedivested or frustrated by a unilateral withdrawal of a communication,especially if there are other facts and evidence to proceed with the process,” saidOlalia. In December, the ICC prosecutor’s officesaid that it aims to finalize the preliminary examination in 2020, at whichpoint Bensouda will decide “whether to seek authorization to open aninvestigation into the situation in the Philippines.” “The office cannot effectively destroyor return information once it is [in] its possession or control. However, it wouldregister any supplemental information the sender may now want to provide,including in terms of how to treat such information,” it said. “We also anticipate cooperation withother bodies like the UN Human Rights Council, the OHCHR (Office of the HighCommissioner for Human Rights), and international NGOs to bolster our case forcrimes against humanity against the President,” Olalia said. MANILA – Other allegations againstPresident Rodrigo Duterte before the International Criminal Court (ICC) have theirown merits and will not be affected by the withdrawal of the case of one of thePresident’s accusers, according to a human rights lawyer. Malacañang on Wednesday said the ICCshould wake up from its supposed ignorance as the communication filed againstDuterte was just part of a “vilification campaign.” Edre Olalia, president of the NationalUnion of Peoples’ Lawyers (NUPL), said the withdrawal of lawyer Jude Sabio onthe communication he filed against Duterte before ICC will not affect the othercommunications against the Chief Executive. According to Olalia, their owncommunication and subsequent submissions – filed on behalf of relatives of drugwar victims – “can very well stand on their own merits.” Sabio, who filed his communication in2017, asked ICC Prosecutor to Fatou Bensouda to set aside her preliminaryexamination of allegations relating to the Philippines’ war on drugs forallegedly being part of the opposition’s “political propaganda.” The NUPL is one of the groups that fileda communication before the ICC, seeking charges of crimes against humanityagainst Duterte and his senior administration officials.
“Yesterday sa social media o sa mga Viber groups, nagkalat na ‘yung umiikot na mayroong isang eskwelahan sa BGC na mayroong confirmed (case) na isang parent so kailangan mag-disinfect ng school,” she said. “Sabi ko baka fake news lahat kasi wala pa akong naririnig from DOH na may ganoong case but pagdating noong gabi around 10 p.m. or 11 p.m., there’s four confirmed cases pero hindi naman kayo nagbigay ng detalye so hindi alam ngayon kung saan ba galing itong mga ito at kung kasama ba sa apat na ito ‘yung kumakalat sa Viber group,” she added. (GMA News) Binay, sharing her personal fears forher children amid the COVID-19 situation, said that she also got confused aboutthe confirmed cases on Sunday night. advertisement “Angnangyayari kasi nauuna ‘yung mgaViber groups kaysa doon saannouncement ng DOH and then ang masama pa, parang ‘yung isangcompany na nag-announce, parang nagagalit pa kayo because they’reinforming the public,” Binay told DOH representatives at a Senate hearing. “I think you also have to… dapat bilisan ninyo ‘yung pag-announce, pag-disseminate ng information kasi parangnawawalan ng kumpyansa ‘yung public with the way you handle thedissemination of information about the patients,” she added. MANILA – Sen. Nancy Binay hit theDepartment of Health (DOH) for what she claimed were apparently lateannouncements of confirmed cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in thePhilippines. “Dapat bilisan ninyo ‘yung pag-announce, pag-disseminate ng information kasi parang nawawalan ng kumpyansa ‘yung public,” says Sen. Nancy Binay. ABS-CBN NEWS
Of the total number of applications, 3,739 were already approved, 9,950 are still on process and 3,539 were endorsed to DOLE for funding and releasing, as of May 13. Moldes said they already received a total of 16,768 applications from OFWs since the AKAP program was opened on April 13. ILOILO City – The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) Region 6 disbursed P27,110,000 worth of emergency assistance to 2,711 overseas Filipino workers in Western Visayas affected by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. OFWs who qualify to the program get a one-time cash assistance of P10,000 released through a remittance center. Moldes said application is ongoing and done online in strict observance of the social distancing precautionary measures. Proofs of employment can be any of the following: verified employment contract, work permit/visa, residence IDs, CeC/BM exemption showing validity, employment offer certification from agency, and service record. Moldes advised applicants to prepare their proofs of arrival, overseas employment and loss of employment as requirements for submission. Proofs of arrival include any of the following: airline ticket, boarding pass, arrival stamp on passport, disembarkation on seaman’s book, immigration sticker upon arrival and arrival sticker of the baggage. Land-based and sea-based OFWs who were displaced due to COVID-19 are covered by the program. Officer-in-charge Rizza Joy Moldes said the amount was part of the P1.5-billion fund of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)-AKAP for OFWs through the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act. Any of the following can be submitted as proof of loss of employment: Termination Letter/Notice, cancellation of engagement, travel ban advisories, self-undertaking written with signature. “All our eligible OFWs have to do is visit the dole-akap.owwa.gov.ph to apply in the program to be able to avail of the cash aid from the government,” said Moldes. (PIA-Iloilo/PN)
Meanwhile, 81 Guimarasnons undergoing dialysis and chemotherapy treatment in the City of Iloilo have undergone RT-PCR test and are now awaiting the results. The provincial government of Guimaras has purchased RT-PCR and rapid diagnostics tests worth P8.8 million./PN Medical technologists from Dr. Catalino Gallego Nava Provincial Hospital, Buenavista Emergency Hospital and Nueva Valencia District Hospital underwent training on the proper collection and transport of specimen before they were deployed. An orientation on the use of the rapid diagnostic kits was also conducted. The frontliners, dialysis and chemotherapy patients and close contacts of COVID-19 patients were being tested first. The tests yielded negative results. ILOILO – The provincial government of Guimaras has expanded its targeted testing in a bid to stop the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). “Kinahanglan naton makasigurado nga hilway ang probinsiya sang Guimaras sa COVID-19. One way of doing this is ipa-test naton ang aton mga frontliners. Sila ang mga vulnerable, nagataya sang ila kabuhi para masiguro nga hilway sa virus ang aton probinsiya paagi sa pagbantay sa aton mga ports of entry,” said Gov. Samuel Gumarin. A total of 314 frontline workers from the provincial government of Guimaras, Philippine National Police, Philippine Coast Guard, and Department of Health have been tested. The expanded testing is a combination of the reverse transcription – polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and rapid diagnostic tests. Guimaras policemen wait for their turn to be tested. The provincial government of Guimaras has expanded its targeted testing in a bid to stop the spread of the coronavirus disease. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE GUIMARAS CAPITOL
You have heard a lot of discussion on whether Greensburg will have to move up to 4A in basketball next year. According to the latest information I have, they will not! I will try to explain their situation in the simplest terms I can.Greensburg did win back to back state titles, but according to the fine print of the rules I read they will not move up because the first championship was in one enrollment period and the second one was in a new enrollment period. Because of this, Greensburg will remain in 3A unless they reach the state finals again next year. An enrollment period is designated by the IHSAA. In a designated period of time the total enrollment of a school is counted by the IHSAA, and that is how your class is determined.The rule came about as a result of constant pressure put on the IHSAA by schools who felt certain schools in the state of Indiana were given more freedom to enroll students than the majority of the schools in the state. To the average person, this is an extension of the public vs. parochial school debate. With open enrollment in Indiana now, as many public schools as parochial have been forced to change enrollment status.I don’t believe any system that has been tried so far by any state has truly been fair.
The Jac-Cen-Del Eagles traveled to Madison to play The Cubs in a Jr. High Soccer. The Eagles lost 2-0 to The Cubs. The extra half was 1-0.Shots on goals: Trent Linville 5 shots, Blake Simon 3, Dillon Swinney 2, Jordan Meyer 4, Morgan Sutton 1, Dillon Hughes 4, Trevor Brison 1, Cameron Grable 1. Shot stops Conner Toops 7, Spenser Johnson 4.Courtesy of Eagles Coach Larry Hammond.
The 7th Grade Lady Dogs faced a tough Benjamin Rush team falling by the score 44-25.The game was quite close through the first three quarters with the Lady Cubs holding a slim, 3 point margin at half (16-13) and only a 6 point advantage at the end of the 3rd quarter (27-21). Solid free throw shooting and a balanced scoring attack proved too much in the end.Carlie Werner led the team in scoring with 11 points, while Liz Heidlage directed the offense from her point guard position and netted 8 points. Ellie Cassidy, Macy Prickel, and Abby Westerfeld each contributed 2 points to round out the scoring.The Lady Dogs hit the road to play South Ripley on Monday.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Shelly Prickel.The BMS 8th Grade Girls’ Basketball team lost to Rushville by a score of 42 to 20.The Lady Dogs fell behind early but continued to work throughout the game closing within 10 points at the end of the 3rd quarter. Rushville finished strong and held BMS scoreless in the 4th quarter to secure the win. After giving up 28 points in the first half to Rushville, BMS held the Lady Lions to only 14 points in the second half.Kendall Dickman led Batesville in scoring with 12 points. Hattie Westerfeld (6 points) and Ellie Waechter (2 points) rounded out the scoring.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Thomas Barnett.
Pitch, Hit & Run Sectional results.Cody Samples will advance in 13/14 year old boys. Lexi Franklin advances in 7/8 girls.Both will compete Saturday morning, June 20 at about 8:00 am at Great American Ballpark. By advancing, each will receive a hat, shirt and two tickets to the game that day.The best of luck to both from Country 103.9 WRBI!Courtesy of area Pitch, Hit, & Run Coordinator Brian Samples.
Thomas “Tom” Hartwell, 64 of Moores Hill, passed away Wednesday July 6, 2016 at his home. Tom was born Sunday July 6, 1952 in Aurora, IN the son of Ralph and Agatha (Moore) Hartwell. He married Rita (Bassett) Hartwell and she survives. He was a member of the Moores Hill United Methodist Church and the Muzzle Loaders Rifle Association. He retired from the South Dearborn School Corporation as a maintenance man and was a licensed plumber. Tom enjoyed ham radios, riding his motorcycle and mechanical work.Tom is survived by his wife of 43 years: Rita Hartwell of Moores Hill; Son: Joshua Ray Hartwell of Moores Hill; Brother: Bill (Pat) Hartwell of Moores Hill. He was preceded in death by his parents.Services will be Thursday July 14, 2016 at 1PM at South Sparta Church, 13975 West County Line Road Moores Hill, IN 47031 with Pastor Ted Hammrick officiating. Visitation will be Thursday 11AM-1PM at the church. Memorials may be made to Cancer Association, or South Sparta Church. Go to www.sibbettmoore.com to leave an online condolence message for the family. Sibbett-Moore Funeral Home handling the arrangements.