Advertisement Linkedin Print WhatsApp Twitter NewsLocal NewsRail and traffic disruption threatens tourismBy admin – June 15, 2012 547 Facebook THE closure of a ‘small bridge of immense importance’ so that repair work can be carried out, will result in the cessation of rail services through Limerick Junction in July and N24 diversions in August. And county councillors believe that the timing of the project will affect the influx of summer tourists to the region. Irish Rail have come under fire as they were initially due to repair Oola Bridge and Brooks Bridge in Pallasgreen in October of last year, with a single lane traffic system in place at Oola since March 2011.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The company recently revealed that they would carry out the realignment work in Oola this August, but there are no resources available for the Brooks Bridge repairs.At a presentation to members of the Castleconnell area committee, Gary Keegan, Community Liaison Officer at CIE, said the stretch of road on the N24 will be closed from midnight on August 19 to midnight the following Sunday to facilitate the work.“Seemingly people thought nothing was happening but we have been working since February testing the ground and tendering contracts for piling works”.An open information night on the project will be held in Ballykisteen Hotel on July 24 from 5pm to 8pm.Rail travellers will also be affected by the work as trains services will not be running for three days of each week in July.Cllr Harty said it was “desperately disappointing” that the Brooks Bridge repairs would not be carried out.“The NRA even granted money for the realignment of the road and that allocation will be lost now.“People have been very worried and businesses have suffered a lack of earnings as motorists won’t stop twice in one place”.She added that HGV’s continue to use the N24 which will lead to back-ups and delays when the diversion is put in place to accommodate the work.Mr Keegan explained that Irish Rail will lay on bus transfers and advance train departure times to compensate for longer journeys by road.Following the completion of work in August the single lane system at Oola will remain in place until September 17. Email Previous articleClare wanted it moreNext articleBig effort would bring big result with China admin
Aug 5, 2009Use of hand hygiene and masks may slow flu spread in householdsIn a Hong Kong study, the use of hand hygiene and surgical face masks seemed to reduce flu transmission in households when started within 36 hours after the index patient’s first symptoms, according to a report in the Annals of Internal Medicine published ahead of print. The study involved 407 people who sought treatment for flu-like illness and 794 household members. The households were divided into three groups—control, hand hygiene only, and hand hygiene plus face masks. Sixty household contacts of the patients had lab-confirmed flu within 7 days after the intervention. Hand hygiene with or without masks seemed to reduce transmission, but the differences were not statistically significant. However, a significant reduction (adjusted odds ratio, 0.33; 95% confidence interval, 0.13 to 0.87) was seen in households where the two interventions were started within 36 hours after the first patient became ill.[Oct 6 Ann Intern Med report]Pneumonic plague kills three, sickens nine more in Chinese townThree people have died of pneumonic plague and nine more have the often-deadly disease in the town of Ziketan in China’s Qinghai province, the Associated Press (AP) reported. One of the surviving patients was described as being near death, one was in serious condition, and the others were stable, the report said. Police have set up check points to seal off the town of 10,000, located about 300 miles west of Beijing. The outbreak was detected Jul 30. The report said most of the sick people are relatives of the first victim, a 32-year-old herdsman who fell ill after burying his dog.
Loading… President of Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick has disclosed that the body will be making a lot of difficult decisions regarding some of its activities in the coming days.Advertisement super eagles no movement on fifa rankingPinnick revealed that part of the decisions to be taken include few provisions on the Gernot Rohr’s new contract, the bonuses, and allowances of the Super Eagles players.The former Delta State football Chairman who maintained that Franco-German coach will now be paid in naira, however, insisted that the players are not exempted from the new arrangement as they will also get the same treatment whenever they are playing on the home soil.“When they play in Nigeria, their bonuses have been in naira. When they play abroad, we pay them in dollars but that can even change,” he said.The NFF boss explained further that the Federation will be taking such steps, in order to back the government on the new fiscal policy.“As I said, we are going to make many difficult decisions that will go across board because we need to promote our fiscal policy.read also:Oliseh: Why I can never consider Super Eagles job again“If the government is saying that we need to strengthen our naira, we should not be paying in dollars. We are an integral part of the government,” he concluded.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually TrueA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black HolesThe Best Cars Of All TimeTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?A Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic BombsBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Weird Facts About Coffee That Will Surprise You10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By Odeith
A recent spate of earthquakes has raised some concerns among students about the university’s preparedness as well as if a bigger quake might be on its way. Even with experts predicting a big earthquake to hit Southern California soon, the university is prepared, according to Steve Goldfarb, USC’s fire safety and emergency planning specialist.Earlier this month, a tremor was felt across Los Angeles County after an earthquake rattled Beverly Hills at 12:03 a.m. The relatively minor magnitude-3.5 earthquake was the area’s second of that week, following one of magnitude 3.2 at the start of the week.In accordance with USC protocol, the Dept. of Public Safety was quick to survey the campus and immediately identify any damage and injuries, Goldfarb said. Goldfarb said DPS reported no injuries or damages as a result of the earthquakes.Some students, like Sara Worth, a sophomore majoring in political sciences, said they were not fazed by the earthquakes.“I was sitting at my desk when I felt a small tremor. I wasn’t entirely sure if it was even an earthquake,” Worth said.Though some students said they did not feel the earthquakes, others, like Rachel Weber, a sophomore majoring in theater, said the quake was worrying.“Being originally from the East Coast, even small earthquakes do seem pretty scary,” Weber said. “It’s important that every student know how to best deal with emergencies.”Earthquakes are commonplace in Southern California since the region lies upon the San Andreas Fault, which separates the area from the rest of the continental United States. The last major rupture on the San Andreas dealt a devastating blow to the city of San Francisco in 1906. For decades, experts have anticipated a volatile earthquake hitting California, which many have dubbed the “big one.”Though some experts said the Beverly Hills tremors are not predictive of the “big one,” they said an earthquake is likely to rattle the state soon.“California is very overdue for a Southern San Andreas earthquake,” said Mark Benthien, director for communication, education and outreach at the Southern California Earthquake Center, based at USC. “If you consider that earthquakes in the past happen every 150-200 years, and it’s been now over 320 years since the last big earthquake … scientists are concerned.”Worth said that in light of recent tremors, it would be worthwhile for the university to promote its safety protocol.“It would be helpful for [USC] to provide information on how to stay safe during emergencies, especially with the prediction of a large earthquake,” Worth said.Goldfarb said USC has an award-winning Emergency Response Plan, which includes a comprehensive system of steps to follow in the event of a large quake. In the case of an earthquake, Goldfarb suggests that students find cover under a table or desk or drop and cover by an interior wall.“Don’t run,” Goldfarb said. “Most injuries occur from falling debris, so take cover wherever you are.”Benthien said Los Angeles is one of the most prepared areas in the world for earthquakes. Still, he said he believes there can always be room for improvement.“There are always aspects that we are not prepared for, because we can’t have every building perfectly earthquake resistant, and we don’t have the resources to respond instantly to every situation involving injuries,” Benthien said. “We can always do more to be better prepared.”SCampus, USC’s student handbook, recommends that all students familiarize themselves with the emergency procedures of their residences and prepare an emergency kit. Guidelines as to what an emergency kit should contain can be accessed at the SCampus website. Additionally, at the start of the school year, the university posted a video on YouTube outlining its emergency procedures.Goldfarb also said USC’s annual involvement with the Great California Shakeout is an important part of its preparations. This year’s shakeout, which simulates a 7.8 magnitude earthquake, will be held on Oct. 18 at 10:18 a.m. Students, staff and faculty will be asked to “drop, cover and hold” to simulate the tremor. USC has participated in the drill every October since the Shakeout began in 2008, Goldfarb said.Students can register to participate in the drill on the Great California Shakeout’s website.