University students arrested on felony charges

first_imgPolice arrested three Notre Dame students on felony charges for providing alcohol to minors early Sunday morning, according to South Bend police logs. One 19-year-old male was also arrested on a misdemeanor charge for the same offense. Of the three arrested on felony charges, one was 21 years old and two were 22. Police busted the party on the 900 Block of East Corby Street at about 1 a.m. The logs listed a 17-year-old male living in Dillon Hall as the victim of the felony. Four other minors were cited for underage drinking. Student arrests for underage drinking soared in August and September 2010 — reaching 70 arrests at the peak — but this weekend’s bust is one of the only cases during this school year that resulted in a felony charge for serving minors. Police arrested 11 and cited nine at a party bust at Irish Row apartments in January. Vice President for Student Affairs Fr. Tom Doyle told The Observer earlier this year that the University, student government and local law enforcement continue to work together on the issue of student arrests.last_img read more

‘Other allegations vs Duterte at ICC has merits’

first_imgIn response, the ICC Office of theProsecutor said that no communication before them can be withdrawn. It addedthat any supposed withdrawal would have no impact on the preliminaryexamination it is conducting. “The ICC has to wake up from its stuporif not ignorance. It should realize by now that it is being used by disgruntledand discredited persons to advance their goal of besmirching the reputation ofPresident Duterte and achieve their impossible dream of bringing down theDuterte presidency,” Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said./PN “What is clear is that once jurisdictionis acquired and exercised by the ICC, our position is this should not bedivested or frustrated by a unilateral withdrawal of a communication,especially if there are other facts and evidence to proceed with the process,” saidOlalia. In December, the ICC prosecutor’s officesaid that it aims to finalize the preliminary examination in 2020, at whichpoint Bensouda will decide “whether to seek authorization to open aninvestigation into the situation in the Philippines.” “The office cannot effectively destroyor return information once it is [in] its possession or control. However, it wouldregister any supplemental information the sender may now want to provide,including in terms of how to treat such information,” it said. “We also anticipate cooperation withother bodies like the UN Human Rights Council, the OHCHR (Office of the HighCommissioner for Human Rights), and international NGOs to bolster our case forcrimes against humanity against the President,” Olalia said. MANILA – Other allegations againstPresident Rodrigo Duterte before the International Criminal Court (ICC) have theirown merits and will not be affected by the withdrawal of the case of one of thePresident’s accusers, according to a human rights lawyer. center_img Malacañang on Wednesday said the ICCshould wake up from its supposed ignorance as the communication filed againstDuterte was just part of a “vilification campaign.” Edre Olalia, president of the NationalUnion of Peoples’ Lawyers (NUPL), said the withdrawal of lawyer Jude Sabio onthe communication he filed against Duterte before ICC will not affect the othercommunications against the Chief Executive. According to Olalia, their owncommunication and subsequent submissions – filed on behalf of relatives of drugwar victims – “can very well stand on their own merits.” Sabio, who filed his communication in2017, asked ICC Prosecutor to Fatou Bensouda to set aside her preliminaryexamination of allegations relating to the Philippines’ war on drugs forallegedly being part of the opposition’s “political propaganda.” The NUPL is one of the groups that fileda communication before the ICC, seeking charges of crimes against humanityagainst Duterte and his senior administration officials.last_img read more