Canadian forest companies continued to bleed red ink in the third financial quarter.PriceWaterhouse-Coopers analyst, David Thompson says, the companies lost 552 million dollars, on top of more than one billion, in the first six months of this year.Domtar was the only publicly-reporting, Canadian company, to show a third quarter profit…45 million.All Western companies lost money — a combined 230 million, compared to 132 million, in the same quarter a year ago.Locally, Peace Valley OSB plant, general manager, Chris Baby, is scheduled to hold a Year in Review news briefing, tomorrow morning, which we’re told will include a markets and mill outlook, for 2009.Recall last year the plant shutdown, from December 24th to January 2nd, with the slowdown in the wood product’s industry cited, as the reason. – Advertisement –
An elderly man held off an intruder who tried to break into his home in Castlefin.The attempted break-in took place at 1.30am on Sunday morning last at Carricknashane.The man heard a loud bang on his door and went outside to find a man with a balaclava and wearing all grey clothing. The intruder demanded money and then tried to get past the man and into the home.However, the elderly man held the intruder off and he fled.Garda Grainne Doherty said that while the man was unhurt, Gardai said people should not confront intruders.She advised people to use chain locks on their doors and to keep their doors locked at all time. She added “This man was brave but thankfully he was not hurt. It is not advisable to open dors especially late at night but fortunately, this man was unharmed.”Anybody with any information on this attempted raid is asked to contact Letterkenny Gardai on 074 9167100.Elderly man fends off burglary during early morning house raid was last modified: November 15th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burglarycastlefindonegalGardai
OAKLAND – Below are the takeaways from the Warriors’ 108-100 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Tuesday at Oracle Arena.The Warriors’ ring night had a new twist.Nearly eight years ago, Steve Kerr laughed at Warriors majority owner Joe Lacob.Shortly after being part of an ownership group that purchased the Warriors for $450 million, Lacob proclaimed he would hang a championship banner. Kerr found it absurd to make a proclamation for an organization that had not won an NBA title since …
DTI’s deputy minister Bongi Ntuli believesthe scheme will empower black-ownedbusinesses. (Image: Bongani Nkosi)Black-owned emerging businesses are set to receive a welcome boost from a revised empowerment scheme recently introduced by government.The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) relaunched its Black Business Suppliers Development Programme in Pretoria on 28 July. It will offer financial support to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) through a grant-application process.The programme was initially launched in 2002 and has already given grants to more than 9 600 local companies. The revised one will focus more on funding machinery and other equipment required by black-owned firms. It is partially funded by the European Union Job Creation Fund.Operating on a cost-sharing agreement, the DTI will cover 35% of machinery and equipment expenses. It is also offering up to R800 000 (US$110 000) for tools and an additional R200 000 ($27 000) for corporate development.As part of the country’s Broad-based Black Economic Empowerment policy, the programme is targeted at businesses that are more than 50% black-owned and all-women teams. The term “black people”, according to the policy, refers to coloured, African and Indian South Africans – all of whom were excluded from meaningful participation in the country’s economy during apartheid.Companies from all sectors with a current annual turnover of between R500 000 ($69 000) and R35-million ($4.8-million) qualify for funding.The programme will ensure that “small black businesses with potential are given the necessary assistance to grow their enterprises and become more competitive”, said the DTI’s deputy minister, Bongi NtuliThe success of the programme will be measured by the growth of the funded companies in terms of winning major government and private-sector tenders, jobs created and annual profits.“The launch represents a milestone in our efforts to support sustainable black businesses and small businesses in general,” said Tsepiso Makgothi of the DTI’s enterprise organisation division.Role played by World BankThe revised programme will have a trial run from 1 September 2010, with applications open until 15 November. During this period the DTI will be targeting 2 500 enterprises across the country.“The idea is to get as many applications as possible during these two months so that the process starts from there,” said Francisco Campos, a World Bank official who’s helping the DTI implement the programme. The World Bank’s role is purely to provide assistance – there is no financial involvement.If the target is reached, “applications will be closed for the time being”, Campos said.The programme will be piloted for 18 months until government launches the final version, which will allow time for improvements to be made, he added.“I am confident that that whatever teething problems we find will be addressed in this pilot phase,” said Ntuli.Since the initial launch in 2002, the DTI has set up a well-staffed unit to manage the programme. This, together with the new focus on funding equipment, will help the department better meet grant-applicants’ needs.“The new one is far bigger, far better. We believe it will benefit the SMEs,” said Dr Meshack Khoza, CEO of Fresh Thinking Capital, a company that conducted a study on the scheme progress since 2002.Nation-wide focusThe DTI is hoping to reach companies from all over the country, even those in rural areas. It will embark on a massive drive to get the word out.“There will be workshops throughout the country to create awareness,” said Campos.The department has contracted facilitators in all nine provinces to run the workshops. “We’re relying on our facilitators to spread the message,” said Makgothi. “We’ll go throughout the country to inform people so that when we launch it by 1 September, they know about it.”Although the World Bank is not funding the programme, it will monitor how the scheme is being implemented and conduct a study on it. Part of World Bank’s role is to ensure fairness and transparency in the roll-out process.Campos said they aim to guarantee that “no one is excluded on the basis of not knowing anyone” and that “everyone has an equal chance” to get funding.More beneficiaries since 2002The programme began with just four beneficiaries in 2002, but over the years has provided financial support for 9 663 businesses. With about 52% of these being majority-women-owned, the scheme is ensuring that “more and more people have an opportunity to participate in the economy,” said Makgothi.
For the first time since 1988, Orlando Pirates beat arch-rivals Kaizer Chiefs in a cup final when they scored a 1-0 victory after extra time in the MTN 8 final at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg on Saturday night. Eight was the Buccaneer’s lucky number: as winners of the top eight competition for an eighth time, Pirates picked up the winners’ cheque of R8-million. ControlAfter the break Pirates started to control the game and defender Siyabonga Sangweni headed narrowly over the crossbar from a corner kick. In the 70th minute a similar opportunity fell Sangweni’s way, but this time Amakhosi goalie Itumeleng Khune stopped Sangweni’s shot. with a smart one-handed save. In the last 10 minutes Chiefs’ substitute S’thembiso Ngcobo had two chances in quick succession to steal a victory for his side, but Pirates’ net-minder Moneeb Josephs stopped Ngcobo’s first shot with a good save low to his right and the striker was just wide of the mark with his second opportunity, a header from a corner. It was a successful defence of the title they claimed in October 2010 after a penalty shootout win over Moroka Swallows. The last team to achieve back-to-back titles in the competition was, ironically, their opponents in the final, Chiefs. It was also Pirates’ fourth title won out of the last five on offer. Fans of the Soweto giants won’t have to wait long for another derby. The teams meet at the FNB Stadium again on 17 September, but silverware won’t be up for grabs as it is a PSL match. A massive crowd of over 90 000 was subjected to a tepid first half, with neither team really threatening the other’s goal as a deadlocked battle took place in midfield. There were a couple of headed opportunities for both teams, but the goalkeepers dealt with them comfortably. ‘The happiest man in the world’Following his side’s win, Pirates’ coach Julio Leal said at the post-match press conference: “Tonight, I’m the happiest man in the world, not because we won but because we also played well. 13 September 2011 WinnerChiefs pushed hard for victory in extra time, but it was Pirates who found the breakthrough, courtesy of midfielder Oupa Manyisa. He struck a long range shot that dipped and bounced awkwardly in front of goalkeeper Khune, who should have stopped it. However, the ball bounced a touch more than he expected and hit the back of the net. “I’m very happy to score another goal,” Manyisa said afterwards, “but what is important for me is to help the team win trophies. At the moment, I’m enjoying my football. I don’t want to take credit because at the end of the day we are playing as a team.” “This is a good start for us this season. It’s good for our confidence level. I think my players played very well, they fought very hard for the whole match. I think today we showed that we are a team that is capable of winning.” With time almost up and extra time beckoning striker Bongani Ndalula looked to have won it for the Buccaneers with a header, but referee Victor Hlungwani controversially decided that Ndalula had pushed Chiefs’ defender Dominic Isaacs and a free kick went the Amakhosi’s way. Television replays suggested that it was a harsh decision. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
16 January 2012South African financial services group Standard Bank is urging its short-term insurance customers wanting to replace faulty or burst electric geysers to do so with solar-powered ones, which will help them cut down on electricity usage and save on energy costs.According to a statement this week, Standard Bank says that traditional electric geysers are responsible for up to 50% of a household’s monthly electricity bill, though homeowners are cautious about moving to solar energy because of the costs involved.“We understand this hesitation, but also wish to support the drive towards using the nation’s sunshine to reduce demands on our power stations,” said Standard Bank Insurance Services MD Denise Shaw. “To assist customers, we have therefore decided to offer an additional service to our homeowner policy holders.”In the event that policy holders have to claim for a burst or faulty electric geyser, they may be offered the opportunity to use the claim payment to make an initial payment on a solar system instead of getting a new electric geyser.Using registered suppliersThe first step in the process would be contacting a supplier registered with the Sustainable Energy Society of Southern Africa (Sessa), who would examine what the policy owner requires and then suggest a suitable solar solution.Each insurance company will specify its own technical specifications for the solar solution to adhere to.“The claim payment that would have been used to source and install a new electric geyser will act as a deposit on the system and the homeowner will thereafter be able to use the savings accrued on water heating to help pay off the balance on a monthly basis,” Shaw said. “On an R800 per month electricity bill, these savings could be up to R 4 320 a year.”She further added that the new solar installation would be added to the homeowner’s policy. Full coverage on the solar panels and other apparatus involved would then be in place.“We feel that by offering this option we will be making a contribution to reducing electricity demand, contributing towards combating climate change and help alleviate the greenhouse gas emissions that are generated by coal burning power stations.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Former Oklahoma City Thunder teammates Kevin Durant (35) and Enes Kanter (0). AP File PhotoReigning NBA Finals MVP Kevin Durant recently owned up to his recent comments regarding his former team, the Oklahoma City Thunder, admitting it was “childish and idiotic.”The Golden State Warriors forward was caught red-handed using an alternate Twitter account to answer a negative comment made by a netizen about him, but failed miserably as he accidentally replied using his own verified handle.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ SMB draw collective effort in win over Phoenix ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims LATEST STORIES Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans Durant also claimed that with the exemption of Russell Westbrook, his former OKC squad mates were not talented enough to win an NBA title.Despite the stinging words, Kanter took more offense on Durant’s critical comments on coach Billy Donovan.“What he said about Billy Donovan, I don’t know if anyone made the conference finals in his first year in the NBA,” Kanter said. “Billy Donovan, of course he’s pretty new in the NBA, but I feel like he’s done an amazing job. There’s coaches in the NBA that have not made the playoffs yet, and they’ve been in the league for 10, 15 years, but he made the playoffs in his first two years, and I think he’s done a good job.”Although Kanter does not deny Durant’s supreme talent, he claims that a player of his stature shouldn’t try to please everybody and pay attention to critics.“You just won a championship. You were the Finals MVP,” he said of KD. “I understand interacting with fans, but having a fake account and just answering back and trying to have a conversation with them and stuff, come on, man. If you’re Kevin Durant, you don’t do that. He is one of the top five players in the league. Come on, man. Just go do your thing.”ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games MOST READ No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges The outspoken Kanter added: “Play basketball and try to be the best. When he’s doing all these little things to all those people who sit on their laptop and just writing comments – they got no life. Come on, man. You don’t do that.” Khristian Ibarrola /raSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Despite the public apology, his former teammate Enes Kanter couldn’t help but chastise the NBA superstar.“Well, I’m not angry. It’s just really sad,” the 25-year-old Turkish center said of Durant’s comments.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“I remember when he was here – I played with him one-and-a-half years – and when he was here, this organization and these fans, this whole state, gave him everything he asked for, everything he wanted,” he explained to CBS Sports Radio’s Andrew Bogusch, as relayed by The Score.“The cooks, the chefs, the massage therapists, the coaches, players – everything – just (to make) sure he is okay and getting what he wanted to get.” Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
All of 21, she’s young and versatile unlike others of her generation. Even in terms of dealing with criticism Highway star Alia Bhatt has a mature approach. She says being “thick-skinned” comes in handy.”Criticism and appreciation should be welcome at all times. But it helps to be thick-skinned in the industry,” Alia told IANS over phone from Mumbai when asked how she reacts and handles situations when the audience gives extreme reactions to her work.The actress is very active on social networking platform Twitter, where she interacts with her 1.8 million followers.Nonchalant about the feedback she receives, Alia took to online instant messaging and video chat platform Google Hangout on the evening of July 25 to interact with her fans from Mumbai and Delhi to talk about beauty trends for the season as part of her association with make-up brand Maybelline New York.She found the idea to be “fun”.”We go to different cities all the time to promote our films, but having a virtual interaction via Hangout is different. Technology has made it fun and easy to interact with the audience for feedback on any product – whether it’s a film or a product – as they’re the ones we work for,” Alia said.The actress is very active on social networking platform Twitter, where she interacts with her 1.8 million followers.She is not on Facebook, but when asked if she has a team to manage her Twitter account, she was quick to clarify: “I don’t have a team. I manage the account on my own.”advertisementAlia admits “digital is a massive space” to explore, but she says “it’s important to not get lost in it”.”I feel there has to be a line that you draw between your life and the virtual world,” said the actress, who is the youngest daughter of acclaimed filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt.After making an impressive debut with Karan Johar’s Student Of The Year, Alia has been surprising viewers and critics alike with wonderful performances movie after movie.If she played a brand-conscious, make-up laden and arrogant girl in her debut, Alia left a lasting impression with her powerful act in Highway as a city-slick girl who experiences a sense of freedom and gets a taste of reality only after being abducted.This was followed by her easy portrayal of the fun-loving, carefree and Tamilian girl-in-love with a Punjabi boy in 2 States. Alia has recently also amassed appreciation for Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania in which she has essayed the role of a fearless girl, who fights to live life her way.From ultra-glamorous to deglam and desi – Alia has sported different looks in each of her films, but she says “it’s too soon” for her to set “fashion trends”.Her association with showbiz notwithstanding, she says “girls have a right on make-up”, but she personally does not like to preach any style or fashion mantra.