Rehire neonatal ICU head, hospital authorities urged

first_imgLANCASTER – Doctors, employees and former patients’ parents are seeking reappointment of the longtime director of Antelope Valley Hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit, who was removed last month by a medical group that employs him. Dr. Murugesa Thangavel, who founded the unit in 1984 to treat premature and critically ill babies, had sold his practice to the Pediatrix Medical Group last year as part of an effort to bring in more neonatologists, officials said. “All the pediatricians in the valley on the medical staff of the hospital unanimously support him and respect his integrity and quality of medical care for premature babies,” said Dr. P.N. Varma, a pediatrician. About a dozen people spoke at the hospital board meeting Wednesday on behalf of Thangavel, including mothers who credited him with saving the lives of their babies who were treated in the unit and have since grown into healthy children, teens and young adults. “Unfortunately, this Pediatrix Group that the hospital has contracted with chose to remove him from the medical directorship based on anonymous complaints and complaints from hospital middle management,” Krishna said. Hospital board member Berna Mayer said having a contract with Pediatrix puts the hospital in a position to receive state funding for disabled children. “The problem is it’s difficult to get certification with just one physician there,” Mayer said. Hospital officials said they value Thangavel’s service, but that the decision to replace him was between him and the Pediatrix group. Thangavel could not be reached for comment Thursday. [email protected] (661) 267-5744160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The hospital chief of staff, Dr. Doddanna Krishna, said medical leaders have passed a resolution asking the hospital administration to reappoint Thangavel as unit director. “Dr. Thangavel has provided services to hundreds and thousands of babies. He’s an asset to the hospital and community,” Krishna said. “No one can match his skills and compassion.” Hospital board member June Snow said 35 of the 53 nurses in the neonatal intensive care unit expressed support for Thangavel at a meeting about two weeks ago. Pediatrix spokesman Bob Kneeley said he couldn’t comment on a personnel matter. Krishna and Varma said there have been anonymous complaints made against Thangavel. last_img read more

Drake University And Hy-Vee Announce Five-Year Sponsorship Extension

first_imgDES MOINES, Iowa – Drake University and Hy-Vee, Inc. have announced an extension for Hy-Vee to remain the presenting sponsor of the Drake Relays through 2021.This extraordinary partnership began in 2012 and has helped enhance and elevate the weeklong event into one of the world’s premier athletic events: the Drake Relays presented by Hy-Vee.”For more than 100 years, the Drake Relays have garnered great success. But there’s no doubt that since partnering with Hy-Vee, the Drake Relays has earned even greater national and international acclaim,” said Drake Relays director Brian Brown. “It’s great to have a partner that understands success, excellence and raising the bar in pursuing excellence at the highest level. We’re proud of where we’re going and realize that there’s more we can do together.”With Hy-Vee’s support, the Drake Relays has been able to offer one of the largest track and field prize purses on North American soil for each of the last three years. In 2013 the world’s finest athletes competed in London Olympic Games Rematches, followed by Moscow World  Championship Rematches in 2014 and Beijing World Championship Previews in 2015. Brown has created 13 Rio Olympic Games Preview events with nearly 60 past Olympians, including more than Olympic medalists, and dozens of Olympic hopefuls set to thrill the Drake Stadium crowds.”We’re excited to continue our support of the Drake Relays’ legacy and build upon the successes our partnership has accomplished in recent years,” said Ryan Grant, Hy-Vee’s director of sports marketing. “At Hy-Vee, we are dedicated to health and fitness, and through the Drake Relays we’re able to showcase our high school, collegiate and world-class athletes who work so hard to compete and represent our communities.””I’m thrilled that Hy-Vee’s continued support of the Drake Relays ensures that the Relays will remain one of the premier athletic events in the world,” said Drake director of athletic Sandy Hatfield Clubb. “Hy-Vee’s commitment to excellence in our communities has allowed us to transform the Relays into an event that draws world-class talent from across the globe to compete on the Blue Oval while protecting the integrity of the meet for our talented collegiate and high school competitors.”The 2016 Drake Relays presented by Hy-Vee begins next week with action starting inside Drake Stadium on April 27 and continuing through April 30. For more information on the Drake Relays presented by Hy-Vee visit www.DrakeRelays.org. To secure your tickets, visit www.DrakeTix.com.Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more

All-Star closer Blake Treinen wins arbitration case against A’s

first_imgBlake Treinen’s unprecedented 2018 campaign has garnered him a substantial pay raise through arbitration.The closer won his arbitration case against the A’s, rewarded with his desired salary of $6.4 million after the club had submitted a figure of $5.6 million.“Blake appreciates the arbitration panel’s decision and looks forward to helping the Oakland Athletics return to the postseason in 2019,” Treinen’s agent Adam Karon told Bay Area News Group.Treinen’s projected arbitration number was …last_img read more

Celebrities who Geocache

first_img SharePrint RelatedHelp This Blog Post Help You GeocacheApril 28, 2014In “Geocaching Weekly Newsletter”Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – September 30, 2010September 27, 2010In “Community”Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – October 27, 2011October 28, 2011In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter” Loading… Share with your Friends:Morelast_img

‘Compensate us, don’t treat us as criminals’

first_imgOn a hazy Monday morning, Jitender, 42, is doing the rounds of his five-acre field at Sonipat’s Barona village off the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal Expressway, bordering the national capital. He hopes his crop, the ‘Pusa 1121’ variety of basmati rice, would be ready for harvest in the next couple of days.Farmers in and around his village mostly grew basmati rice and harvested the crop manually, he said. “The grain of basmati is damaged during mechanised harvesting and fetches a lower price. We therefore harvest using labour, though it costs a little extra,” said Mr. Jitender. Farmers, he said, make up for it by selling parali (the upper part of paddy cut during harvest). He claimed that incidents of paddy stubble burning in and around his village have virtually stopped over the past two years because of the growing demand for parali as fodder. The parali usually fetches a farmer ₹2,000-₹3,000 per acre. “The stubble is mixed in the field while preparing the land for the next crop,” said Mr. Jitender.The region comprising Jhajjar, Sonipat, Panipat, and Jind districts, mostly growing basmati varieties, account for only 20-30% of stubble burning incidents; the majority of fires are reported from Kaithal, Kurukshetra, Karnal and Yamuna Nagar districts — better known as the “rice bowl” of Haryana. The farmers in this region prefer high-yielding ‘PR’ variety because of easy availability of water and the harvesting is done through combine harvesters. The removal of stalk and straw left in the field is a labour-intensive process. Watch | Stubble burning: M.S. Swaminathan’s solution Stubble burning: M.S. Swaminathan’s solutionVolume 90%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard ShortcutsPlay/PauseSPACEIncrease Volume↑Decrease Volume↓Seek Forward→Seek Backward←Captions On/OffcFullscreen/Exit FullscreenfMute/UnmutemSeek %0-9Live00:0001:3701:37  center_img Combine harvestingMalkeet Singh of Landi village in Kurukshetra said small farmers could not afford to incur three-four times the usual cost to prepare the field for the next crop after combine harvesting and preferred to set the stalk and the straw on fire. “Instead of treating the farmers as criminals and registering a case for burning crop residue, the government should compensate us. The inputs cost of farming has increased several fold over the years, but the price for paddy has reduced to half. The farmer is well aware of the consequences, but it is cost-effective for him to burn [the stubble],” said Mr. Malkeet.Rajinder Singh, president, Haryana Gyan Vigyan Samiti, Karnal, who is working with farmers of around a dozen villages in his area to combat stubble burning, said the government must link cutting of paddy stalk and clearing of fields after combine harvesting with the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) to deal with the problem effectively.“It will be a win-win situation for all. The labourers would get work under the MGNREGS and the stubble burning would stop,” he said.Hans Raj of Firozpur Bangar village in Sonipat said the farmers were an easy target to blame for air pollution, but industries and vehicles were responsible for the prevailing situation in Delhi-NCR and the National Capital Region.“Farmers burning the crop residue is mostly in Punjab and Lahore in Pakistan. There are very few instances in Haryana,” he said, adding that parali was, in fact, in short supply in his village.Local parali trader Gopi said the paddy residue is in huge demand in dairies and cowsheds and is also used for packaging purposes. He said he bought the parali from around a dozen villages in Kharkhoda area of Sonipat and not a single instance of crop burning was reported there this year. “Why would the farmer burn when he can make good money out of it,” he asked.“With the farmers failing to fetch adequate price for their produce, ₹3,000 per acre for parali is a welcome money for them,” said Shamsher Singh, from the neighbouring Saidpur village.last_img read more