India charges Muslim leader with culpable homicide for coronavirus surge

first_imgTopics : “Delhi police had filed a first information report earlier against the Tablighi chief, now section 304 has been added,” the officer said, referring to culpable homicide in the penal code, which carries a maximum punishment of a 10-year prison term.A spokesman for the Tablighi Jamaat group, Mujeeb-ur Rehman, declined to comment saying they had not confirmed reports about the new charges.The Tablighi is one of the world’s biggest Sunni Muslim proselytizing organizations with followers in more than 80 countries, promoting a pure form of Islam.Authorities said at the beginning of the month that a third of the nearly 3,000 coronavirus cases at that time were either people who attended the Tablighi gathering or those who were later exposed to them. India has brought charges of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against the chief of a Muslim seminary for holding a gathering last month that authorities say led to a big jump in coronavirus infections, police said on Thursday.The headquarters of the Tablighi Jamaat group in a cramped corner of Delhi were sealed and thousands of followers, including some from Indonesia, Malaysia and Bangladesh, were taken into quarantine after it emerged they had attended meetings there in mid-March.Police initially filed a case against Muhammad Saad Kandhalvi, the chief of the center, for violating a ban on big gatherings but had now invoked the law against culpable homicide, a police spokesman said.center_img India’s tally of coronavirus infections has since jumped to 12,380, including 414 deaths, as of Thursday.In the coronavirus hot spot of Delhi, 1,080 of its 1,561 cases were linked to the group’s gathering, according to the city government data on Wednesday.The Tablighi administrators earlier said many of the followers who had visited its offices in a narrow, winding lane in Delhi’s historic Nizamuddin quarter were stranded after the government declared a three-week lockdown, and the center had to offer them shelter.Critics of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government have cautioned against fanning communal tension by laying the blame for the spread of the coronavirus on the Muslim group.Officials have rejected suggestions they were unfairly targeting the Muslim community, but said they had to rebuke the group because it had behaved irresponsibly by ignoring social-distancing rules.The Tablighi was also linked to a surge of cases in neighboring Pakistan where it cancelled a similar gathering, but only at the last minute when thousands had already arrived at a premises in the city of Lahore.A gathering organized by the group in Malaysia also led to a surge of cases there and in several other Southeast Asian countries.Pakistan has recorded 6,505 cases according to its latest data, a jump of 520 over the previous day. About 60 percent of Pakistan’s cases load was linked to the Tablighi or were people who had gone on religious pilgrimages to Saudi Arabia and Iran, officials said.Here are official government figures on the spread of the coronavirus in South Asia:* India has 12,380 confirmed cases, including 414 deaths* Pakistan has 5,988 cases, including 107 deaths* Bangladesh has 803 cases, including 39 deaths* Afghanistan has 784 cases, including 29 deaths* Sri Lanka has 238 cases, including 7 deaths* Maldives has 21 cases and no deaths* Nepal has 16 cases and no deaths* Bhutan has five cases and no deathslast_img read more

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry returns to management with Montreal Impact

first_imgHenry has previously worked with the likes of Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne (Picture: Getty)‘We are extremely happy with the arrival of Thierry Henry,’ said Montreal Impact sporting director Oliver Renard.‘Young and dynamic, he’s very familiar with MLS and meets the qualities we were looking for in our search. This nomination, two months before the start of camp in January, will give us a chance to build our squad with the man that will lead it.’MORE: Thierry Henry explains why Nicolas Pepe is struggling at ArsenalMORE: Emmanuel Petit tips Thierry Henry or Patrick Vieira to replace Unai Emery at ArsenalMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City Henry took over a struggling Monaco side and made little improvement (Picture: Getty)‘It’s an honour to coach the Montreal Impact and return to MLS,’ said Henry, who played for the New York Red Bulls at the end of his playing career.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘It’s a league I know well, in which I had some very nice moments.‘To be in Quebec, in Montreal, which has an enormous multicultural heritage, it’s extraordinary. I’ve always kept an eye on the club and now I’m here.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalHenry will be officially presented to the media on Monday and will take over when pre-season training begins in mid-January, with the MLS having just finished.The 42-year-old has also worked as a coach under Roberto Martinez with the Belgium national team, achieving a third-place finish at the World Cup. Comment Arsenal legend Thierry Henry returns to management with Montreal Impact Advertisementcenter_img Metro Sport ReporterThursday 14 Nov 2019 1:27 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link339Shares The former striker has been out of work since getting sacked by Monaco (Picture: Getty)Major League Soccer side Montreal Impact have announced the appointment of former Arsenal star Thierry Henry as the team’s new manager.The Frenchman has been out of work since he was sacked by Monaco back in January, having mustered just four wins – and 11 defeats – in 20 games in charge of the Ligue 1 outfit.He has been linked with other jobs in Europe since, but has opted to sign a two-year deal with the option for a third to move to Canada. Advertisementlast_img read more

First Lady Frances Wolf Visits Harrisburg University, Highlights Governor Wolf’s Investments in STEM Education through PAsmart

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter August 02, 2018 Education,  First Lady Frances Wolf,  Innovation,  PAsmart,  Press Release Harrisburg, PA – First Lady Frances Wolf today joined students, educators and members of the Pennsylvania Commission for Women at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology to highlight a $20 million investment Governor Wolf is making in STEM and computer science learning through his PAsmart initiative. The First Lady visited with high school and middle school students who are participating in Summer STEM Exploration Camps focused on various topics including coding, biotechnology and 3D modeling. During the visit, the First Lady emphasized the need to increase participation of girls and young women in STEM education.“Last year, twice as many boys took computer science courses as girls, yet over the next 10 years, over 70 percent of new jobs will require computer science skills,” the First Lady said. “Harrisburg University is leading the way in not only providing a quality education in science, technology, engineering, math and computer science fields – but also in encouraging more girls and women to enter these educational courses, and eventually careers. PAsmart will help to expand this work by giving even more students the opportunity to earn a quality STEM education.”“We were pleased to have First Lady Frances Wolf visit Harrisburg University of Science and Technology to discuss the importance of women in STEM and to see our Summer STEM Exploration Camps in action,” said University Provost Dr. Bilita Mattes, who also is a founder and executive director of the STEM-UP Network, a social enterprise dedicated to attracting and supporting women in the STEM fields. “Encouraging women to enter STEM disciplines is crucial to the health of the economy. STEM skills are required for 70 percent of today’s jobs, yet only 24 percent of the STEM workforce is made up of women. Women make up about half of the entire workforce.”“At a time when there are roughly 3 million more STEM jobs available than workers, and when companies are constantly seeking a competitive edge, women remain notoriously underrepresented in the technology industry,” said Tracey Welson-Rossman, CEO of TechGirlz and member of the Pennsylvania Commission for Women. “We must engage girls at a young age to help them discover, embrace and advance technology related skills in order to diversify and fill workforce needs. We thank the Governor and First Lady for their dedication to women and girls in STEM through the PAsmart initiative.”The governor’s PAsmart initiative is a new and innovative $30 million investment in job training and STEM education to focus on fast-growing, in-demand jobs, including:• $20 million for STEM and computer science education at all levels. Nearly 300,000 jobs in the commonwealth require skills in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Over the next decade, more than 70 percent of new jobs will require these skills.• $7 million for apprenticeships with a goal of doubling the number of registered apprentices by 2025. Since Governor Wolf established the commonwealth’s first Apprenticeship and Training Office in 2016, the number of registered apprentices has increased by nearly 20 percent from 13,282 registered apprentices to 15,972 statewide.• $3 million increase for Industry Partnerships which bring together workers and multiple employers in the same industry in a public-private partnership to provide job training.The initiative is built on recommendations of the governor’s Middle Class Task Force, which included leaders from the Pennsylvania AFL-CIO, Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, education, and workforce development.The PA WDB will provide recommendations on the distribution of the $30 million in PAsmart funding, which will be driven out through a competitive grants process. Organizations that will be eligible to apply include: local education agencies; intermediate units; postsecondary institutions; local workforce development boards; public libraries; employers; labor organizations; chambers of commerce; after-school providers; education, training and workforce providers; nonprofits; community organizations, and others.center_img First Lady Frances Wolf Visits Harrisburg University, Highlights Governor Wolf’s Investments in STEM Education through PAsmartlast_img read more

Public Works to lay off staff-PSU says it will take action

first_img Sharing is caring! 9 Views   no discussions Share Share Sharecenter_img LocalNews Public Works to lay off staff-PSU says it will take action by: – February 9, 2012 Tweet Thomas LetangThe General Secretary of the Dominica Public Service Union Thomas Letang says the Union will respond to any layoffs by the Public Works Corporation.The Board of the Corporation met with the PSU on Wednesday to discuss several issues.Letang said the Public Works Corporation indicated that they would be taking a decision to lay off staff.“We had a meeting with management and they wanted to discuss layoffs with us. When we look at the situation, the fact is the employees have given so much in the past. A number of things we negotiated for were not implemented however we never made a big issue about it because the management said they did not have money. Therefore a number of benefits which we negotiated for on behalf of the employees which were agreed to, were not implemented. To now come and tell us that you are going to lay off workers is a hard pill that we have to swallow,” he said.He said the Union indicated to the management of the Corporation that they would not support any moves to lay off staff.He also noted that enough was not being done to ensure staff remains employed.“When we go around we see that there is a lot of work that public works can do. Look at the conditions of our roads. We see port holes around the country. We are saying that we have given so much. We are seeing also that there are certain things which must be put in place to ensure that the public works can get work but there are not putting in place,’ he said.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more