APTN National NewsA case that could affect thousands of non-status Indians and Metis people is at the Supreme Court of Canada.It’s the final step of a 16-year-old legal battle to have the same rights as status Indians.APTN’s Annette Francis has the story.
Chris Stewart APTN National NewsA new documentary called “My only Daughter” deals with the disappearance and death of Karina Wolfe.Wolfe went missing in 2010 in Saskatoon and five years later her body was found.The film looks at how her family coped with not knowing her fate for half a decade.APTN attended the screening in Edmonton.
OTTAWA – Despite tough talk from the U.S. about the job-killing impact of NAFTA on its automotive sector, Canada’s chief negotiator isn’t expecting to see a detailed American proposal on the matter during the latest round of talks to rewrite the continental trade pact.Rules of origin will be “a subject for discussion but we’re not expecting to see anything radically new at this point,” Steve Verheul said Saturday.Verheul made the comment as he arrived for the start of the third round of negotiations, the first at which Canada is playing host.Concern has been mounting among trade experts that the year-end deadline for revamping NAFTA will be impossible to meet if negotiators don’t start during this round to confront some of the most contentious issues, rules of origin prime among them.Asked if he expects anything radically different on any file, Verheul said: “We’ll really have to see. It’s too early, I’m just walking in now.”Under NAFTA’s current rules of origin, vehicles must have at least 62.5 per cent North American content to qualify for duty-free movement between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.At the opening round of negotiations in Washington last month, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer pronounced that the North American content requirement must be raised and a specific American content requirement must be added, along with a way to verify that content.But the U.S. has yet to provide any details.Reports in the U.S. suggest the Americans are looking at raising the North American content to more than 70 per cent and adding a specific U.S. content requirement of anywhere from 35 to 50 per cent.They are also looking to add steel and electronics, not currently covered by NAFTA, to the list of auto parts whose origin must be traced and accounted for under the content requirement.On the eve of the third round, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross published a column in which he blasted NAFTA for allowing outside countries to provide parts for vehicles that aren’t covered by the content requirement — likely an allusion to the rapidly increasing amount of electronic components which are primarily produced in China, Japan and Germany.He cited a new study which found the American content of manufactured goods, specifically autos, imported from Canada and Mexico has dropped “significantly” since NAFTA went into effect in 1994.“If we don’t fix the rules of origin, negotiations on the rest of the agreement will fail to meaningfully shift the trade imbalance,” Ross wrote.“Our nation’s ballooning trade deficit has gutted American manufacturing, killed jobs and sapped our wealth.”For all that, Verheul’s comments suggest the Americans still aren’t ready to show their hand.Canadian officials believe resolving American concerns about the exodus of automotive jobs to low-wage Mexico is the key to staving off U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat to rip up NAFTA.But while the Americans are focusing on the content requirement to remedy the problem, Canadian officials believe it would be more effective to set more stringent labour and environmental standards, which would raise wages and production costs in Mexico to levels closer to those in Canada and the U.S.Verheul said it’s “doubtful” negotiators will be able to sign off on the environment chapter during this round, which an American official had earlier suggested was possible.
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Friday arrested a “trusted” aide of controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik from Mumbai in connection with a money laundering case against him and others, officials said.Abdul Kadir Najmudin Sathak, a jeweller, has been arrested under the Prevention of Money Laundering (PMLA) for his role in “actively assisting Naik and aiding him in money laundering by transferring funds of dubious origin from the UAE to facilitate production and broadcasting incriminating videos for spreading communal hatred and radicalisation of a particular community”, the agency said. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The agency will also soon file a fresh chargesheet in this case based on fresh evidence, they said. The officials alleged that Sathak had directly sent about Rs 50 crore funds to Naik, which the preacher illegally routed and laundered. Sathak was also the director of M/s Global Broadcasting Corporation FZE LLC that owned Naik’s Peace TV channel, they said. He will be produced before a special PMLA court in Mumbai. It said the company Global Broadcasting was “controlled” by Naik, who is stated to be in Malaysia at present, through Sathak, who was his “trusted aide”.”An amount of Rs 79 crore was received from GBC to Ms Harmony Media Pvt Ltd. But for these monies, it would not have been possible to produce these controversial speeches of Naik and reach wider audiences through Peace TV,” the ED alleged. It claimed that the source of funds remitted by GBC to Harmony Media is “suspicious” as there were no advertisements run on this channel and Sathak had not submitted any details in this context. Naik has been under investigation since 2016, when the Centre banned his Islamic Research Foundation (IRF) for five years. Indian security agencies have been monitoring him ever since allegations surfaced that he had inspired one of the militants involved in the Dhaka restaurant attack on July 1, 2016, which left 22 people dead.
NEW DELHI: Frustrated over being bullied almost everybody, a school cab driver along with his accomplices killed a 22-year old man by first stabbing and then strangulating him at an abandoned farm house situated barely 800 metres from the Neb Sarai police station in south Delhi on the intervening night of Tuesday-Wednesday.The accused were six in number and overpowered the victim and murdered him.To evade arrest, the accused had disposed the body by throwing it in a nearby ditch and covered it with some leaves. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe deceased has been identified as Surjit Kashyap, a resident of Jawahar Park in Neb Sarai who used to work as delivery boy in a food making company. Police have arrested four accused while two are still at large. “On April 17, at about 12.12 am, his brother filed a complaint at the Neb Sarai police station that his younger brother Surjit Kashyap is missing and has not returned home,” said Vijay Kumar, the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), South district. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchings”In his complaint, the victim’s brother said his brother had gone out to meet his friends and suspected foul play behind his disappearance. A case under section 302, 201 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) was registered at Neb Sarai police station ,” said the DCP. During investigation, police identified a few people who were last seen with Kashyap. Police identified the accused as Sombir Singhal who worked as a school cab driver in Neb Sarai and Saket area, Vicky Jha, who worked as a helper in Max Saket, an unemployed youth named Satbir and Vicky Bhatt who was a data entry operator. “During interrogation, the accused confessed to their crime and revealed that Sombir and Vicky had an old enmity with Kashyap. He had beaten them a few years ago and since then they were holding a grudge against him. The accused said that Kashyap used to bully and threaten Sombir almost on a daily basis,” said the DCP. “The accused also disclosed that on April 15, Kashyap had again threatened Sombir. In the evening, he got information that Surjit was sitting with one of his friend. Sombir along with his friends went to the abandoned farm house, stabbed and strangulated him. They disposed the body by throwing it in a nearby ditch and covered it with some leaves,” said the DCP. “Four accused have been arrested. Two more of their accomplices identified as Golu and Ravinder Bisht are still absconding and police have launched manhunt to nab them,” the DCP said.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has warned his former Manchester United coach Jose Mourinho over their recent form and insists that they must keep winningThe former Swede international left the club last month to join LA Galaxy in the MLS and, while praising the Portuguese coach, Ibrahimovic did warn Mourinho that the club must continue winning silverware in order maintain their status among Europe’s elite.“I like Mourinho. He is the Special One.” Ibrahimovic told ESPN (via Manchester Evening News).“He likes to win. Wherever he went he won. He made me feel comfortable. He gave me a lot of responsibility.“He said to me the only problem he had with me was when could he rest me.“They’ve been doing it good. Let’s hope, there’s one last trophy to play for, and that’s the FA Cup. So hopefully they win it.”Maguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…Ibrahimovic joined United in the summer of 2016 and had a terrific debut campaign at the club with his 28 goals in his 46 appearances proving to be a critical factor in their triumphs in the Community Shield, EFL Cup and the Europa League.“Last year we had a big success with the three trophies with a new team like that, new coach, couple of new players.” said the 36 year-old.“And hopefully that rings on, because as a top team, like United, you need to keep winning, because that is the status of the club.“You need to win. And if you’re not winning, you’re not belonging to the top.”Ibrahimovic made his debut for LA Galaxy in last weekend’s surprise 4-3 win. The Swede came on as a substitute in the second-half and his two goals played a decisive effect on the derby.
Paris Saint-Germain boss Thomas Tuchel is starting to worry over their lack of progress in the transfer window given the club’s recent injury blows.The Ligue 1 champions have sustained heavy losses this month in star duo Neymar and Marco Verratti.The pair are doubts for next month’s first leg against Manchester United at Old Trafford in their last-16 stage Champions League clash.Currently, it remains unclear just how long Neymar will be sidelined for after sustaining a new metatarsal injury in PSG’s 2-0 Coupe de France win over Strasbourg last Wednesday.While Verratti is also doubtful due to an ankle injury and, with Adrien Rabiot suspended from the team, PSG are lacking options in the midfield.Due to this, Napoli midfielder Allan and Zenit star Leandro Paredes have both linked with transfers to the French capital.Speaking after PSG’s 4-1 win over Rennes on Sunday, however, a clearly frustrated Tuchel urged the club board to get a move on with the transfers.“We’re waiting for him [Paredes],” said Tuchel, according to SportsMax.Opinion: Neymar needs to apologize to PSG’s supporters Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After such a dramatic summer during the transfer window, Neymar truly needs to apologize to all the PSG supporters this weekend.When Neymar finished last…“I am told it is settled but here is not there. I’m worried. We need players!“Maybe even an offensive player since Neymar is injured. We are waiting for Leandro but he is not here.”“It was already like this last summer but it is more serious with the wounds of Verratti and Neymar.“We cannot do a miracle. There are missing players in the middle. It’s January 27! It’s almost finished.”He added: “What can I say? We have goals in this club,”“To reach it, to have ambition in the club and for my players, we must recruit players.”Edinson Cavani struck twice to send PSG on their way to a 4-1 win against Rennes with Angel Di Maria and Kylian Mbappe being the other scorers on Sunday.The Parisians remain 13 points clear at the top of Ligue 1 from Lille OSC and will take a trip to Lyon for their next match this Sunday.